Friday 6 September 2013

We Survived Our First Week!

We survived the first week, and what a great first week it was! I am incredibly excited about my amazing group of students I have this year. We are off to a great start and have been easing our way back into school life!

We have really been working on setting up classroom procedures and routines. We are slowly getting used to lining up, finding our materials, using our indoor voices, etc... Let me tell you though we've made big strides since Tuesday! Here are a few photos I snapped on the first day of our classroom for those parents who haven't had a chance to pop by yet!

Reading Journals: As I mentioned in my last post we will be starting our reading journals on Monday, so our kiddo's first entry will be done on the section labelled "Tuesday" so that on Tuesday morning we can start earning stickers towards our very first reading party! Thank you in advance for working nightly with your child on his or her reading, it really makes such a difference in the classroom and improves their writing considerably!

Scholastic Book Orders:
Scholastic book orders offer an amazing variety of books for our little guys. They have a great range that should reach all interests. Every month I will be sending home two book orders, See Saw and Lucky and they will be due back a week later when I will send out our order. Not only will your child be able to purchase books but with every order our class earns Scholastic points which I can then spend in the teacher store to stock up on new and amazing books for our classroom library! The first orders went out today and I will be sending out the order on Friday the 13th.

Classroom Dojo:

On Monday you will be receiving a login for yourself and your child. This will enable you to log into a behaviour tracker that we will be using in class! Students will each be able to design their own avatar at home that will be up on the smartboard in our class. With their log in they can log in at anytime to make changes to their avatar and check their stats! They can then earn and lose points depending on their behaviour throughout the day! Parents can check their child's progress whenever they log in and can also sign up to receive a weekly graph and description on how their child did that week. I used it last year with my grade 2's and it was great!

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend and gets rested up for another great week at school!